Friday, April 3, 2009

100 Miles, 1 State, and Onward!

So I was completely wrong about updating this thing often. Two reasons: I'm never near internet, and I don't want to be near internet.

Strange thing, this trail, that although I love and miss my dear ones, there is an otherness to my life during this adventure. I feel as though I'm in some sort of Narnia, removed from your reality so that I'm missing nothing, and also, not missed myself. So I will be behind, but that's alright; it will make the reunion so much sweeter!

This hiking is wonderful. I have marks on my shoulders, a couple healing blisters, I'm often wet and cold, and I exhaust my body every day. And I am so happy. I am happy on this trail. Sometimes I hike along with a group, meeting that night at a shelter or camp, or find my way to meet new friends.

They call me Joker.

I'm in North Carolina, there's a weekend-long hiker party thrown by the generous and creative Ron Haven, who is letting me use his internet right now. So I'm on my third town-stop. Funny, I've been gone what, about 9 or 10 days, and had three nights (including tonight) in hostels. But every day on the trail is it's own little universe, full of this simple, intensive journey, that I feel as though I've been lingering a long while in that otherness I was trying to describe up there. All we think about is water, food, warmth, and shelter. I don't worry (for those of you who know me well, I'm not 'picking'), I just walk. I walked 19 miles yesterday. I felt like shit, then I climbed Mount Albert (5,750 feet or so) in the rain and wind, a rock-scramble of a summit, and I felt like a million bucks. Those are my highs and lows.

Love to you all.